Membership allows all Saint Lucian’s residing in the Ottawa region an opportunity to celebrate the culture, to come together to do good and to have a sense of community and home.
Whether you are residing in Ottawa, visiting for school or other personal matters, the membership of Saint Lucian Ottawa Association (SLOA) will play a key role for you in Ottawa. With membership you have ability to influence the betterment of SLOA and opportunity to play an active role in providing Saint Lucian’s in the Ottawa region a much richer and rewarding experience of life in Ottawa.
Benefits of Membership
It’s All About You!
Membership in SLOA is at once about doing better for you, and more importantly, makes the voice of Saint Lucian’s in Ottawa stronger – We commit to:
- Bringing you knowledge and linking you to resources in Ottawa.
- Continuing efforts to support and engage our youth and support the elderly both locally and in Saint Lucia.
- Communicating with integrity and a genuine care for our members.
Creating local and global connections with and for Saint Lucian’s
Enjoy special savings on select SLOA sponsored events
Make a Difference
Join the SLOA in its promotion of volunteerism within the broader community.
Who Can Join?
Application for membership in the Association is open to all persons 18 years and over:
- You were born in Saint Lucia and residing in the Ottawa region.
- You were born outside of Saint Lucia, but of Saint Lucian parent(s) and residing in the Ottawa region
- You are Saint Lucian’s by naturalization and residing in the Ottawa region.
- You are a spouse or child of any of the “designated Saint Lucian’s”
- Honorary membership may be conferred by the Association on any person, irrespective of nationality, who has contributed to the advancement of the Saint Lucian Community. Also, honorary membership may be conferred on any person who in the opinion of the Executive Committee will advance the objectives of the Association.
- An honorary member is entitled to take part in any of the activities of the Association except to have the right to vote and hold office
Why Pay Dues?
We value the contributions of Membership fees as they are key to funding and promoting our activities.
- Pay for the use of meeting rooms throughout the year
- Pay for refreshments at general meetings and receptions
- Provide funding for donations to members and Saint Lucian’s at times of need or sorrow, including reefs, flowers, cards, etc.
- Individual members (18+) are $15 per member
- Family membership are $25 per family
Membership Rights and Responsibilities
- Membership qualifies you to run for key Executive positions in the Association and affords you the ability to vote on key SLOA Matters
- A member, who has not paid the membership fee and who is in default for six months shall be deemed not to be a member in good standing and shall forfeit all rights and privileges until he/she has paid the fee.
- A special general meeting of the Association shall be called for the purpose of addressing issues relating to the conduct of an Executive or Sub-Committee member or members which is prejudicial to the welfare of the Association. Such member or members may be suspended for a stated period of time or expelled from the Association. Either course of action must be approved by a 2/3 majority vote at the said meeting.
- No one shall be denied membership within MASLOW/SLOA on the grounds or basis of race, religion, gender, political affiliation, occupation, beliefs or any reason that could be construed as discrimination. However, the minimum age requirement (18) is in keeping with the legal age of making independent decisions and not considered discriminatory with due regard to the fact that dues for instance needs to be paid.
- Notwithstanding the above, where it is established that someone’s conduct, record, behaviour or association would likely bring MASLOW/SLOA into disrepute by virtue of activities that have or likely to contravene the municipal, provincial, federal laws of Canada and/or Saint Lucia. The Membership Committee in consultation with the executive reserves the right to deny such person membership into MASLOW/SLOA.
- However, the Membership Committee and the Executive may in their sole discretion review the application after a period of six (6) months after the date of denial of membership.